Tuesday, July 9, 2013

AD # 3 Preview

We crested the east hill of the Wynter property and the towers of the manor enveloped in their misty folds. To our left was Wynter Haunt, our family’s graveyard which wasn’t really a graveyard at all, but rather a numinous space on the canvas of earth, a structural break in time where the laws of life and death ceased to apply. Tangible power flowed from the marble of the crypts and headstones that all sheltered empty caskets. Two gargoyles sat atop twined metal pillars, and behind them an arch of the same metal curled around the tree branches that hung low, the rest was shrouded in mists. On these grounds the trees were barren, and grass that grew here died almost as soon as it tasted air, only the roses remained in full bloom year round, and their velvety petals boasted the colors of blood, snow and darkness. I let go of Lily’s hand and walked forward until I stood under the arch. I almost never passed by this place without stopping, there were so many things in the dappled shadows and beyond that called to me. The wind was colder here; any light from the day was sucked up by the mists. I ran my hands over the statue that stood at the entrance of the arch. She was beautifully done in green marble, with ruby flecked hair that twined through the roses framing her; she knelt atop a fountain of gold and held a stone plaque in her hands. ‘Wynter women at rest.’ It read. I always found it ironic, they never rested. Lily walked up beside me and took my hand. Together we stepped under the arch and the mists closed in behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment